How to fit an air tightness membrane
Since you are researching how to fit an air tightness membrane you have arrived at the right place. Our handy guide shows you the simple steps and we have all the help you need by phone, email or live chat too so if you have any questions at all just get in touch.
Installing an air tightness membrane is an important step in creating a well-sealed building envelope, which helps improve energy efficiency and indoor air quality. It is part of an overall approach to energy efficiency and air tightness membranes are complimented by air tightness tapes, air tightness sealants and also air tightness paint.
Our favourite air tightness membrane is the Intello Plus Vapour Check Barrier and this is 75m2. It reacts to humidity and allows up to 100 times more moisture vapour to pass through when humidity is high. This also helps prevent against mould growth and moisture related structural damage.
We supply these right throughout Ireland with fast delivery.
Choose the right air-tightness membrane for your project:
There are different types of air-tightness membranes available, such as vapor barriers, house wraps, and self-adhesive membranes. Choose the one that suits your project and meets the local building code requirements.
We supply the Intello Vapour Check membrane that is used extensively in Ireland. This leading product;
- Provides optimum protection for all thermal insulation systems in roofs, ceiling, walls and floors.
- Offers high diffusion tightness in winter and maximum diffusion openness in summer.
- In winter, its high diffusion resistance provides ideal protection for the building’s structure against condensation.
- In summer, its low diffusion resistance facilitates rapid drying.
- It is translucent, easy to install, fully recyclable.
- It offers the ideal solution to structures that are difficult to protect against condensation e.g. flat roofs, flexible metal sheeting, etc.
- Intello Plus provides lasting protection against mould growth, thereby protecting the health of the occupants and ensuring structural durability.
- Meets with the durability requirements of EN 13984.
- Has a very high nail tear resistance due to reinforcing layer
Prepare the surface:
The surface where you’ll install the air-tightness membrane should be clean, dry, and free of debris. Use a wire brush or sandpaper to remove any rough surfaces that can damage the membrane.
Install the air-tightness membrane:
Start at the bottom of the wall and work your way up, making sure to overlap the seams by at least six inches. Use a utility knife to cut the membrane around any obstacles like windows, doors, and electrical boxes.
Seal the seams:
Seal the seams using a compatible tape or adhesive. The tape should be at least two inches wide and should cover the entire seam. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for sealing the seams.
Seal around penetrations:
Use compatible air tightness sealant to seal around any penetrations, such as plumbing vents, electrical boxes, or light fixtures. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for applying the sealant.
Seal around windows and doors:
Use the likes of this air tightness tape which is designed for use around windows and doors. Take your time to cut and adjust the tape for maximum air tightness.
Test for air tightness:
Once the air-tightness membrane is installed, it’s important to test it for air tightness. A blower door test can help identify any leaks in the building envelope. If any leaks are found, seal them using compatible sealant or tape.
In summary, learning how to fit an air tightness membrane isn’t too hard and ultimately installing an air tightness membrane is a crucial step in creating a well-sealed building envelope. By following the above steps, you can help improve energy efficiency and indoor air quality while ensuring your building meets local building code requirements.
If you have any questions at all about this process or any of our air tightness solutions then just get in touch and we will be delighted to help in every way needed.
Add to cart
Air Tightness Membrane – Vapour Control Layer – Intello Plus Vapour Check Barrier 75m2€266.33 (Inc. VAT)
Air Tightness Membrane – Vapour Control Layer – Intello Plus Vapour Check Barrier 75m2
Intello Air Tightness Membrane – 75 square metres
€266.33 (Inc. VAT)
- Leading Vapour Control Barrier
- Airtight membrane that reacts to humidity
- Easy to install and fully recyclable
- Allows up to 100 times more moisture vapour to pass through when humidity is high
- Lasting protection against mould growth and moisture related structural damage.
Add to cart
Air Tightness Tape – Tescon No 1 Vana Tape€37.34 (Inc. VAT)
Air Tightness Tape – Tescon No 1 Vana Tape
€37.34 (Inc. VAT)
- Temperature resistant
- NSAI accredited
- Window airtightness tape
- Multi purpose adhesive
Add to cart
Orcon F Air Tight Sealant€10.37 (Inc. VAT)
Orcon F Air Tight Sealant
€10.37 (Inc. VAT)
- Airtight bonding
- High strength on building materials
- Strong adhesion
- 310ml cartridge
My Build Club
Calling all Trades Professionals, Self Builders, Renovators and DIY lovers!
We have created an entirely unique section of our website that has been designed to make your life easier.
Enjoy discounts, get an even more enhanced level of customer service, find all your paperwork easily and get unique offers and deals regularly.
My Build Club is a brand new innovative service for all Self Builders, Renovators, Trade Professionals and DIY lovers in Ireland.
We have revolutionised how you can source the right products at the very best prices along with putting you in touch with real life experts to help you every step of the way.
Why join today?
- Save money and time when sourcing the supplies you need
- Get Trade discounts just like you would at our Trade Counter
- On demand support from our experts – video calls, live chat and phone support
- All of your paperwork and invoices in the one place
- Arrange fast delivery – including to work sites
This Post Has 0 Comments